
Filbert Street
1891-2002
Historical Overview
Leicester City, then known as Leicester Fosse, was formed in 1884 and played at several grounds before laying out its own ground at Filbert Street in 1891. The first match was played on 7 November 1891 against Nottingham Forest's reserve team. The stadium initially consisted of simple earth banks and a small main stand. A new, larger main stand was built in 1921, and in 1927 the famous 'Double Decker' South Stand was constructed. The record attendance of 47,298 was set on 18 February 1928 for an FA Cup fifth round tie against Tottenham Hotspur. During the Second World War, the Main Stand suffered bomb damage and was later further damaged by fire. The stand was rebuilt by 1949, with much of the labour supplied by German prisoners of war from a nearby camp. Leicester City purchased the freehold of the ground in 1962 for £30,500. The stadium was gradually modernised, with the North and East sides converted to seating in 1971. A pioneering polythene 'Air Dome' pitch cover was introduced in 1971 to protect the playing surface, remaining in use until 1982. The Carling Stand, a new main stand holding 9,500 spectators, was completed in December 1993 at a cost of £6 million. The final terraced area, the Kop, was converted to seating in 1994, bringing the stadium into compliance with the Taylor Report. Leicester City played their final match at Filbert Street in 2002 before moving to the new Walkers Stadium. The old ground was demolished in 2003.
Did You Know
The record attendance of 47,298 was set in 1928 for an FA Cup tie against Tottenham Hotspur, with many more spectators watching from the roof of the Filbert Street end. The Main Stand was rebuilt after Second World War bomb damage using labour from German prisoners of war. Leicester City purchased the freehold of the ground in 1962 for just £30,500. A pioneering polythene 'Air Dome' pitch cover was used from 1971 to 1982, covering 90,000 square feet and taking 15 men two hours to inflate. The famous 'Double Decker' South Stand was built in 1927. The stadium was officially named the City Business Stadium in the early 1990s, but the name never caught on with fans. The ground hosted an FA Cup semi-final between Blackburn Rovers and Arsenal in 1928. Leicester City moved to the Walkers Stadium, now the King Power Stadium, in 2002.
What Happened
This venue was demolished and no longer exists on this site.