Archival Record · Rugby
Wilderspool Stadium
DEMOLISHED

Wilderspool Stadium

1898-2003

Warrington, England
Photo Credit
Fleets

Historical Overview

Warrington RLFC moved to Wilderspool Stadium in 1898, agreeing a 10-year lease with Greenall Whitley for land on the east side of their previous ground. The ground was modernised in the inter-war period, with a new west perimeter wall and turnstiles built around 1921, covered accommodation added in 1925, and a scoreboard donated in 1927. During the Second World War, Wilderspool was requisitioned as a storage depot. The record Kangaroo Tour attendance of 26,879 saw Warrington defeat Australia 16-7 in 1948-49, and the ground's record crowd of 34,304 came that same season against Wigan. Floodlights were installed in 1965. A stand was destroyed by arson in 1982 and replaced by the Brian Bevan stand in 1983. Warrington left Wilderspool for the Halliwell Jones Stadium in 2003, and the ground was demolished in 2014.

Did You Know

Wilderspool's record attendance of 34,304 was set in 1948-49 for a match against Wigan. The ground hosted its first international in April 1953 when Wales played Other Nationalities, and went on to stage Ashes Tests and Rugby League World Cup matches in 1975 and 1995. During the Second World War, the stadium was requisitioned and used as a storage depot. A stand was destroyed by arson in 1982 and replaced by the Brian Bevan stand, named after the legendary winger. After demolition in 2014, the old scoreboard was restored and placed in Warrington's Victoria Park in 2017. A plan for 160 houses on the site was submitted in 2019, more than 16 years after the final game.

What Happened

This venue was demolished and no longer exists on this site.

Catalogue Card
Sport
Rugby
Years Active
1898-2003
Year Opened
1898
Year Closed
2003
Demolished
2014
Capacity at Peak
9,200
Former Team(s)
Warrington Wolves (Warrington RLFC), 1898-2003
Location
Warrington, England
base44
Edit with Base44