Griffin Park
1904-2020
Historical Overview
Between Brentford's formation in 1889 and 1904, the club played at five grounds around Ealing. In 1903, Fulham chairman Henry Norris, Brentford manager Dick Molyneux and club president Edwin Underwood negotiated a 21-year lease at a peppercorn rent on an orchard owned by local brewers Fuller, Smith and Turner. After a gypsy camp was removed from the site, work began on building the ground in January 1904 under architects Parr and Kates. The orchard was cut down by local volunteers, who were allowed to keep the wood. The ground was initially built with a 20,000 capacity in mind. An 800-capacity stand from Boston Park was rebuilt along the Braemar Road side. The ground was named Griffin Park after a nearby pub, The Griffin, owned by the Griffin Brewery. Griffin Park opened on 1 September 1904. The first competitive match was a Western League fixture versus Plymouth Argyle on 1 September 1904, which ended 1-1. The money generated from Brentford's run to the fifth round of the FA Cup during the 1926-27 season allowed a new grandstand to be constructed. The ground hosted Brentford for 116 years, including during the club's golden era in the 1930s when they reached the top flight of English football. Brentford's final match at Griffin Park was a 2-1 Championship play-off final win over Swansea City on 29 July 2020, which secured promotion to the Premier League. The ground was demolished in 2021 to make way for housing, with Brentford moving to the new Brentford Community Stadium.
Did You Know
Griffin Park was the only English league football ground to have a pub on each corner - The Royal Oak, The Griffin, The Princess Royal and The New Inn. The ground was named after a nearby pub, The Griffin, which was owned by the Griffin Brewery. The stadium was built on the site of an orchard owned by Fuller's Brewery, and the griffin in the brewery's logo inspired the name. Local volunteers cut down the orchard and were allowed to keep the wood. The first competitive match at the ground ended 1-1 against Plymouth Argyle on 1 September 1904. Brentford's final match at Griffin Park was a 2-1 win over Swansea City in the Championship play-off final on 29 July 2020, which secured promotion to the Premier League - a perfect farewell. The ground hosted Brentford for 116 years. The London Broncos rugby league club also played at Griffin Park from 2002 to 2006, as did Chelsea's reserve team from 2007 to 2010. The site is now occupied by housing development called 'The Linfield' and 'Braemar Court'.
What Happened
This venue was demolished and no longer exists on this site.